There will be three honor jazz bands, and no grade level (HS/JHS) will be in the name of the band. The Jazz All Stars (I) and Jazz Ambassadors (II) will include students in grades 9-12. The Honor Jazz Band (III) will include students in grades 6-9.
9th grade students may audition for either the Jazz All Stars/Jazz Ambassadors OR the Honor Jazz Band, but not both. However, any student wishing to audition for the Jazz All Stars/Jazz Ambassadors may be considered for membership in the Honor Jazz Band if they wish, if they are not accepted into the Jazz All Stars/Jazz Ambassadors. There will be a check box on the application for those who wish to be considered.
9th grade students who audition for the Jazz All Stars/Jazz Ambassadors wishing to be considered for the Honor Jazz Band will NOT be deliberately left out of a “higher” band just to fill a necessary spot in the Honor Jazz Band, if applicable.
All students will be placed in bands they earned their way into.
Audition Application Process for 2020
- All applications MUST be submitted online along with your $35 application fee payable via credit/debit card. No other payment method will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The time-stamped deadline for Jazz Honor Group applications/fees is 11:59 PM on November 1, 2019. Applications/fees will not be accepted or processed after the 11:59 PM timestamp on November 1, 2019 and no audition times will be issued. No walk-in applications or payments will be accepted.
- Directors will receive a listing of students from their school who wish to audition for verification and audition approval. Deadline for verification will be no later than November 8, 2019. There will be NO refund for non-approved applications.
Completing the Application:
- Complete the online application. Please make sure to fill out the application in its entirety, including electronic signatures at the end of the application.
- Select the date you wish to audition and provide a preference of AM/PM audition time and the instrument(s) you are auditioning on. Time preferences are not guaranteed.
- Please make sure to fill out the application in its entirety, including electronic signatures at the end of the application.
- Upon submission of application and fee, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your transaction. This receipt will also be sent to the SCSBOA office. Please do not contact the office to see if your application has been received. Confirmation can also be found at the SCSBOA website under the Honor Groups tab.
Receiving the Audition Time(s):
- Check the SCSBOA website AFTER Saturday, November 16, 2019 for audition times.
- Auditions will be held Saturday, December 7, 2019 at Tesoro High School and Sunday, December 8, 2019 at Crescenta Valley High School.
- Refunds will not be issued.
Prepare for a Successful Audition:
- Download the Jazz Audition List from the SCSBOA website under the Honor Groups tab, find your instrument on the list, and download the etudes.
- Practice etudes and sight-reading skills (ask your private teacher or director for advice on sight-reading).