- Been a Band Director, Auxiliary, or Percussion Instructor with three years of successful experience in SCSBOA Field Tournaments within the last five years.
- The Field Adjudication Steering Committee (FASC) will review and may approve your equivalent duration of experience.
- Applicant must be a member of the SCSBOA.
IMPORTANT CRITERIA ABOUT THE APPLICANT’S QUALIFICATIONS
- Has the candidate produced a quality performing organization?
- Has the candidate demonstrated professionalism in his/her remarks to colleagues?
- Would the candidate have the ability to evaluate colleagues’ groups objectively?
- Would the candidate demonstrate confidence in his/her decision-making ability?
- Would the candidate be accepted and respected by the membership?
KNOWLEDGE OF MANUAL
Prior to his/her first event:
- The applicant must study and be familiar with the field event manual – especially those areas in which he/she will be judging.
- The candidate must have a thorough knowledge of the following:
- Definition of terms and criteria reference for each caption.
- Process for using the Field Adjudication Sheet, Tote Sheet, and Score Tally Sheet.
- Procedures and techniques for providing performance commentaries on the digital media.
PROCEDURE FOR COMPLETING APPRENTICE ASSIGNMENT
- Apprentices are strongly encouraged to attend the SCSBOA Field Adjudication Training Seminar held in August to become familiar with the procedures using the adjudication sheets and criteria references.
- Two tournaments will be required prior to approval (more may be requested if deemed desirable by the FASC):
- First Tournament: Auxiliary or Percussion will adjudicate 12-16 groups. Band (Multiple Captions) will adjudicate 4 groups each in Visual, Visual Effect, Music, and Music Effect; including scores, written comments, and recorded comments for all groups.
- Second Tournament: Apprentice will be assigned to a Mentor Judge – at least 16 groups will be adjudicated and all groups will be adjudicated using digital media and the written process. The apprentice should meet with the Mentor Judge during breaks and at the end of the assignment to compare comments, scores, and justification (back of adjudication sheets). Adjudication sheets/digital media will be submitted to the Mentor Judge. The Mentor Judge will evaluate the recorded comments, & adjudication sheets then complete an evaluation form that will be submitted to the Apprentice Coordinator.
EVALUATION BY FIELD ADJUDICATION STEERING COMMITTEE
The Apprentice Coordinator will present a list of recommended new judges (results from the Mentor Judges) to the FASC. The Committee may recommend approval, not approved, or to complete more apprentice assignments for further review.
RECOMMENDATION TO THE SCSBOA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Vice President for Field Adjudication will recommend to the SCSBOA Board of Directors that the approved apprentice be added to the Field Adjudication list of judges as a first year (probationary) adjudicator.