This is not Middle School Jazz. Middle School jazz information can be found here.
The deadline for video/applications submittals is February 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM.
Students will be notified by the first week of March regarding their acceptance into the Honor Ensembles. Students who are accepted MUST accept membership by Friday, March 12th through the SCSBOA website. All honor students are expected to attend a virtual clinic on Saturday, March 13th from 10:30 AM until 11:30 AM. Each Honor Group manager will send out further information regarding the virtual clinic session.
This year has been challenging and moving forward into 2021, we remain steadfast that our honor groups will take place, but just in a different fashion. As each month progresses, it has become apparent that we will not be able to do business as usual of being in person to host our student groups. After many conversations with directors, we feel that we can utilize the honor group process to assist with two main concerns; the need to reconnect students to music and each other, and the continuing need for students to have individual goals and rewards.
At the middle school level, we are looking to provide two different opportunities for student participation.
OPTION 1: Virtual Band or Orchestra
- All students who submit the prescribed piece (Orchestra: Forever Joyful, Band: Freedom’s Light March) will be accepted into either of these ensembles depending on instrument.
- Videos are compiled and will be released as part of the 2021 Virtual Concert Series.
- Students are encouraged to wear a school shirt and create a virtual background with their school in the background when submitting their videos.
OPTION 2: Honor Band or Honor Orchestra
- Students wishing to audition for the Honor Band or Honor Orchestra will submit two videos:
- Video 1: The prescribed virtual band or orchestra piece (Orchestra: Forever Joyful, Band: Freedom’s Light March).
- Video 2: Instrument specific scales and audition excerpts.
- All required material must be on one video submission. You may stop the video between excerpts and restart it. You may cut and splice recordings of the same excerpts.
- Students accepted into the Honor Band or Honor Orchestra, will be notified via the SCSBOA website and sent additional music to prepare for their virtual concert.
- Students are encouraged to wear a school shirt and create a virtual background with their school as the background when submitting their videos.
Percussionists for MS – May audition for ANY OR ALL of the following areas:
- Timpanist– Upload Timpani Solo and Timpani Roll
- Battery/Auxiliary Percussion: Upload Snare Solo, Snare Roll
- Mallet Specialist: Upload Mallet Solo & Chromatic Scale (If a marimba is not available, any mallet instrument will be accepted).
SCSBOA Recording Instructions
- STEP 1: Print the recording instruction sheet HERE.
- STEP 2: Watch the following video with a parent or guardian.