Saturday, January 21, 2017
- SCSBOA Honor Jazz Groups Concert
- 9:00 – 10:40 AM – NAMM Nissan Stage
- SCSBOA Elementary Honor Groups
- Band: 9:00 AM – Grand Ballroom
- Orchestra: 10:00 AM – Grand Ballroom
- San Diego State University Wind Ensemble
- 11:00 AM – Grand Ballroom
- Ayala High School Percussion Ensemble
- 1:10 PM – Garden 4
- Capitol Quartet Sponsored by Yamaha
- 1:10 PM – Harbor Room
- Hale Charter Mariachi Ensemble
- 2:15 PM – Garden 4
- SCSBOA Honors Jazz Concert
- 7:00 PM – NAMM Foundation Lounge
Sunday, January 22, 2017
- SCSBOA Middle School Honors Concert
- 1:00 PM – Kennedy High School
- SCSBOA High School Honors Concert
- 5:00 PM – Arcadia High School
Meet the Performers
The SDSU Wind Symphony is the premiere wind group at San Diego State University. Membership is selected through audition from the most outstanding musicians attending the university. The ensemble embraces the wind band movement through promoting the repertoire of the past as well as the music of today. Membership in the Wind Symphony is open to all university wind and percussion players at SDSU. Under the leadership of Director of Bands Shannon Kitelinger, the ensemble strives to build on its long tradition and assert itself as a leader in the advancement of the wind band medium. Past ensemble accomplishments have included performances at local and national music conventions, including: the College Band Director’s National Association (CBDNA) National Conference, CBDNA Western Division Conference, and the California Band Director’s Association (CBDA) All-State Conference (CASMEC). The SDSU Wind Symphony has also commissioned numerous works by prominent composers, including: Grammy winning composer Michael Daugherty, Alan Hovhannes, Benjamin Taylor, David Ward-Steinman, Warner Hutchison, and Pulitzer Prize winning composer Karel Husa.
Mr. Dan Taguchi is in his eighth year at Hale, and his 38th and final year of full-time teaching. His program includes Advanced Band, Advanced Orchestra, Beginning Band, Winds, and Strings. Jazz Ensemble is offered before school, and Mariachi meets after school. Performing groups at Hale have consistently earned Superior Ratings at festival, and First Place Awards in competition.
Mr. Taguchi is the founding director of “Mariachi Los Cometas,” which debuted eight years ago. Students are taught Mexican art and culture through the practice, rehearsal, and performance of Mariachi music.
Mariachi Los Cometas thanks its sponsors, Candelas Guitars, and La Casa Del Mariachi. We hope you enjoy our program. Thank you.